Friday, April 07, 2006

Scammed by "pitiful" Ah peis.

Ok, today's sorta tombsweeping day for me, so got dragged out of my reasonably comfortable soft bed to go tombsweeping EARLY IN THE MORNING (at around 7am -.-) it was a typical scene, my dad was dragging my leg out while i was grabbing the the pole thingy of my bed screaming: "WAH LAO SO EARLY GO TOMBSWEEPING! YOU KI SIAO AR!?"

He won anyway, since all the struggling and screaming made my heart pump more oxygen to my blood, and so, i can't sleep anymore. Right, so off we go to the hazy burning infernos of YIO CHU KANG to see my grandfather. Reached there at around 8.30, did the usual stuff and off to the peach garden for dim sum. Before that, we had a bit of a hectic debate over where to eat. The kids (younger generation) wanted to go makan at some coffeeshop and be off our way quickly, but the ADULTS won in the end for voting for the air conditioning makan areas.

My father's trump card:"AIYA YOU ALL KEEP QUIET! I PAY FOR DIM SUM AT PEACH GARDEN!"

Gotta respect the man, he's paying through his mouth without regrets yeah?

So off i went to the cheers minimart since PEACH GARDEN doesn't open till 11.30, we reached there like 11am after tombsweeping. All hungry, but only i'm the only one sane enough to go buy a potato salad and un-starve the starved stomach before it sues me for self torture. So there i was, picking that potato salad and at the counter queuing up to pay for my meal. Then suddenly, this old uncle rushed in and cut my queue.

Old uncle: Ehh ah boy, i'm in a rush to go to the old folk's home, can let me cut first?

Well being a "civilised" average singaporean and going against the so called "cool" flow of most teens being rude, i decided to let him cut me since he's a "senior citizen" (which can be proved as a valuable asset in SS terms)

So then he bought cigarettes for around 9++ for one small box and went happily out. So after paying for my potato salad, i pushed the doors of the minimart and saw him again. As if he's waiting for me.

uni's thoughts: "now just turn invisible...HIDE YOUR AURA!!"

However, he spotted me and rushed over in his broken chinese:

Old uncle: Ehh ehh ah boi ar, i got no money to take MRT to old folks home, can LEND me some money?

uni's thoughts: "WAH LAO UNCLE! YOU GOT MONEY BUY CIGARETTES NO MONEY TAKE MRT! TAKE ME FOR A FOOL ISSIT?! LEND YOU?! LIKE HELL I WOULD SEE YOU AGAIN! YOU WANT MONEY SAY WANT LA!"

uni: Err, how much?

Old uncle: Just 60 cents, i here got S$1.40 *uncle shows palm with coins*

uni's thoughts: "okaay, probably he just has bad money management.."

uni: err ok *takes out wallet*

Old Uncle: Ehh gimme 2 dollars can can??? Please..please..

Uni's thoughts: WAH LAO LEH YOU! FIRST CUT MY QUEUE NOW YOU WANT MORE THEN YOU NEED! GOT MONEY BUY CIGARETTES NO MONEY TAKE MRT! ARE YOU FOR REAL?

uni: ok uncle *gives 2 dollars* and don't smoke too much, its bad for your health...

Old uncle: Aiya can't la, thank you ar ah boi, *runs off quickly leaving a trail of wind behind*
==========================================================

And so that is how i sorta got scammed. Oh well, somebody has to be nice to them. Sheesh, this is sth that REALLY HAPPENED, not made up like you NEWS of groups of grassroot members gathering together for CNY (YEAH IM REFERING TO THAT SCAM WHICH I WAS PART OF! EVERY YEAR GATHER? MY FOOT!)

So anyway, if you see any more of these old people, you can either be nice and give them money making them lazier OR you can scold them and give them your two cents worthed (please post it in your blog, i wanna know the results)

NOTE: SCOLD THEM at your own risk, for all you may know, they may break down and cry about teens being rude and stuff these days.

5 Comments:

Blogger shdwhawk said...

Well, at least that old man isn't THAT siao. You want a worse scammer? A lady (maybe in late 30s to 40s) went around the bus stop outside the 7-eleven (at our school) asking "Two dollar, you got two dollar?" I think she even ask the SBS bus driver... Of course no one give lar. But I can get that stupid 'rythm' out of my head later...

1:56 AM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

And oh, I forgot, she was eating a cup of mash potato bought from the 7-eleven.


PS. uni, I didn't know you're so kind...

1:58 AM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

*eastern hermit-like tone*

Money is only a material possesion, one can never bring it with onself to the netherworld, it is always good to pass the good deed on and let karma work its magic. Ohmmmm~

PS: I didn't know you're so mean.. ;p

4:49 AM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Actually I wouldn't have given the man any money.

I don't think it's being mean. You said it yourself, he shd have kept aside the money before he bought the cigarettes.

I never give money to strangers who are able-bodied. They should work. Period.

7:19 AM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

he was limping, his teeth were almost all out and stained brownish yellow, his breath erks a mixture between smoke and alcohol and chicken rice, and he reeks of alcohol.

=0

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home