Saturday, August 05, 2006

Poll: Chinese O's, retaking or not?

Ok, i'm sure most of you are as screwed as i am (and by most i don't mean chinese high-flyers) for chinese. Thanks to mr thamman-sth, we cannot pump our chinese a day or 2 before the O lvls and still manage an A.

I think we're getting back our results at like, this coming friday. So anyway, what will you do if you score < (A1,A2)?

a) Screw chinese, its over
b)OMFG! RETAKE! I NEED THAT SUBJECT
c)Migrate to India.

Ok, taking that your chinese NEVER scored higher then ANY of your other subjects (besides combined humanities), will you retake it?

Lets analyze the situation.

You would retake the chinese because you wanna use it as some sorta backup in case your selected L1R5 grade, but to preparing to ACE (get distinctions), is a shitload of work. So would you retake it? Or spend that time "honing" other subjects?

I'd rather go polish my other subjects then take Chinese. I mean like wth, you wanna be a joker to waste time? You wanna take another Chinese paper, you waste a few hours doing the paper, you waste time studying which is not gonna make a dumb difference, what for?

My parents beg to differ.

"AIYA! JUST TAKE LA! AT LEAST MAYBE CAN GET AN A WHAT! WHAT IF YOUR SCIENCE SCORE BADLY?"

Bullshit..

Grades =/= Luck

Whats the chances of getting an A for chinese without much preparation? Very low
Whats the chances of having a science grade LOWER then chinese? *looks at results slip, uni's Chinese never scored beyond the science grades*

Yet, they still wanna pressurize me and all that crap. Sheesh, they speak as if they understand my situation more then i do, wtf.

6 Comments:

Blogger shdwhawk said...

You know, I have to agree. The new syllabus IS easier. And just so long as I pass, regardless of getting A or C, I'm not gonna retake.

1:15 AM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

no it isn't, the new syllabus isn't easier. Trust me, its gonna pull down singapore's standard of chinese.

6:39 AM  
Blogger shdwhawk said...

Well, english is basically compo and compre, so why not chinese? And don't give me the crap about low english standard.

2:53 AM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

chinese is NOT english. You can make out a word's meaning from english but not chinese. Its harder to study chinese THAT way then english. Lets look at it this way, do we have english SPELLING in secondary school?

9:01 PM  
Blogger MdmSng said...

Why are students complaining so much about Chinese now when you folks get to use a dictionary for composition writing??? Huh? huh?

No such privilege in my time, and we still managed.

As to whether the new syllabus is easier or harder, well it really depends. I think the EL system of compre and compo might work for some but for foreign learners (imagine if you just came from China and have to sit for our paper), then it's very difficult.

7:00 PM  
Blogger † Misère Noire † said...

mdm sng, considering o lvls is pretty much standardization, we ALL are on the same playing field. I'm complaining about the compre +cloze passage part, they removed the studayble ones, thats all =_=

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home